For more than 500 years, Hempshill Hall and the attached farm have
stood on this site, the last piece of green land on this edge of
Nottingham. And for almost 500 years before that there is
clear evidence of a farm, mentioned as far back as the Doomsday Book
By the beginning of the twenty first century the Hall had fallen
into neglect and was covered in uncontrolled vegetation. Things were not looking good for this historic building. All
attempts to find a sympathetic buyer who would lavish the necessary
TLC and money to save it from
dereliction and collapse had come to nothing.
Fortunately for the Hall, for posterity and for those who live
nearby, in 2005, just such a sympathetic owner did turn up. A
committed and enthusiastic historian, Richard Hunt and his wife
Felicity, spent seven long years removing the creepers, carting away decades of
accumulated rubbish, python cages, freezers full of rats and other
detritus, then painstakingly peeling back the layers of plaster to
reveal an historic structure dating from 1497, much older and more
significant than previously believed.
This web site introduces the story of that restoration and
provides links to historical and other information related to
Hempshill Hall and its surroundings.
Further information can be found here.